Patent Number : 2021/03809
Gullies separate the storm water and ground water from entering the sewerage system.Traps and pipes make up the system as the ground holds the system in place.Until the 1950’s waste water pipes were predominantly made from cast iron and clay. Japan and Germany was the first to start using PVC pipes and traps.
Now days most underground pipes and fitting are made from UPVC. Gully surrounds where built around the fittings to keep the traps and joints secure and safe. By building them with sand. Bricks and cement made them strong, durable but not free from weeds, bacteria and grass growing into the joints. Once the traps blocked some force are needed to open drains. As a last resort, the brick structure has to be demolished to replace the trap or clear the blockage properly. Most Gully is raised from the ground with a cement and sand structure to prevent storm and groundwater from entering the system. The Gully also prevents groundwater from entering the sewerage system. The brick and motor structure has no overflow outlet to redirect a blocked gully and minimize grey-water spillage until the drain can be unblocked.
50 years later we are still building the structures with bricks and mortar without using PVC that can serve the same purpose. The PVC structure has several features and benefits to help to make the installation and maintenance much easier.
Billy’s vision is to offer a DIY Gully ( LuGUL”) to developers, builders, plumbers and homeowners.
Billy had to attend to a blockage on a gully at his home. The structure had to be demolished. Billy had no plastering and bricklaying skill and was forced to come up with a PVC box requiring NO sand, bricks or cement. The box also had to have a lid and be able to be serviceable so in his lifetime the box did not have to be demolished. The gully was named after Luci (‘ LuGUL”) the owner of the property where the gully was fixed. The local inspectors where approached to check if the gully would pass local inspections when selling a property. The gully can also be drained if there is a blockage and double up as a gray water storage vessel to safe shower and bathwater for the garden.
- Must keep groundwater out
- Must keep rain and service water out.
- Material must be sturdy and waterproof.
The following unique features and benefits were designed
- The gullies are made from PVC foam board.
- The gully has an A. Base B. Midsection if needed C. Lid section.
- The gully is modular so it can be built up in sections with risers.
- The gully can be painted and matched up the colour on request.
- The gully can be opened to remove roots, service, replace the head and grate or P-Trap.
- The gully has the ability to be double up as a grey-water system.
- The ABC parts are glued together with PVC glue making it waterproof and completely watertight in minutes.
- The PVC can be cleaned regularly which ease.
- Bacteria resistant.
- Fungal resistant.
- Total Weight 2.8 kg: Height 130 mm……… With 312 mm……… Length 312 mm
- Packaging includes wall brackets, PVC glue, screws, bolts, 110 mm head and grate with fitment instruction leaflet.
- Back, side or top inlets can be achieved with the gully installation.